Transport for London (TfL) has confirmed it will introduce temporary measures to increase the cost and scope of the London Congestion Charge from June 22.
From June 22 the CC, which covers around 1% of Greater London, will temporarily increase to £15, operate 07:00-22:00 seven days a week and the residents’ discount will be closed to new applicants on August 1.
Previously the CC did not operate on evenings and weekends and vehicles were charged £11.50 to enter.
It has not made it clear how long these temporary measures will be in place.
TfL said traffic levels in London are already back to pre-lockdown levels and that without widening the scope of the CC, traffic could double as many avoid public transport to commute.
TfL said these temporary changes will reduce traffic in central London and enable more journeys to be made safely by foot or by bike while keeping the bus network reliable for those making essential journeys.
Alex Williams, TfL’s director of city planning, said it will not be sustainable for London’s recovery from Covid-19 to be dominated by cars.
He said: “We are already seeing a surge in traffic and need to act now to stop the city grinding to a halt.
“The temporary Congestion Charge changes are supporting our Streetspace programme, which will make it easier and safer for people to walk and cycle and keep the bus network reliable for those who need to use it.
“Our new reimbursement schemes will also ensure that those at the heart of the battle against coronavirus or who could be most affected by it can still make essential journeys by car.
“These temporary changes will also help ensure that those who can’t work from home can travel safely and make the city’s recovery from the pandemic sustainable and healthy."